Tuesday 6 April 2010

day 6 - poem 7

Bidai - I
(sending off of the bride from her parent's home after marriage)


Those tiny fingers which you wrapped around my eyelids
And asked 'bhai, who am I ?'
Have become red with the redness of my eyes
Though old women say its the colour of your husband's love.
Fingers over my forehead, which used to measure my temperature
Nursing me back to health and smile from fever.
And massaged my tired back with mustard oil
Before a winter bath.
Slipped away every so slowly away from me
Farther and stranger.

The earthen lamp lit for prayers at dusk
Will miss the caressing echo of your voice
Repeating the hymns we sang in joy.
Your slippers would have no one to wear them
And run after me to join me in my walks.
Demeaned and even insulted, to whose eyes everyday
Shall I look into to find respect and trust fathomless?

1 comment:

  1. chand ki aapni roshni kanha?? i will always follow u wherever u go .... but... never forget to look back .n never let me alone to wander pathless ,hopeless in the dense forests.....

    ReplyDelete