Monday 16 December 2013

My school is on the bank of river Daya

My school is on the bank of river Daya,
The river of kindness;
The river that was kind to mighty king Ashoka, 
And made him the ruler of hearts of men through Dharma. 
The teacher told us so in the history class,
Just before the rains came in. 

This river goes up all the way to the Lake Chilika, 
Which I wish to see through my eyes;
The words of  Utkalamani* ring in my ears,
Which I read in the school recitation competition
Just before the rains came in.   

In the holy month of Kartik, 
My mother and I, along with others of the village
Take our small boats made up of banana bark,
And set them sail on this river, 
In the glory of the tradesmen of Odisha who sailed 
To distant lands like Sumatra, Bali and Java. 
I too wish to go,
When older I grow, 
But the rains have come in, 
The river has flooded among other things, my school. 
There are no classes, no play, 
My friends and teachers I miss too. 
O kind river, be kind once more,
Let the water go away to Chilika,
And the children go to school with joy. 

* Utkalamani Gopabandhu Das 

1 comment:

  1. I like it's a great reminder of ancient Odisha. It is so nice and pleasing to say something means each and every word is meaningful. Much more space to think about my school days, and go on with your day. This poems reminds me to say something amusing for me
    Please keep it up, Great great great……..108 

    ReplyDelete